Former Cockatoo Kindergarten
The former Cockatoo Kindergarten, constructed in 1976 is historically and socially significant for its role as a refuge for about three hundred residents of Cockatoo during the devastating Ash Wednesday bushfires of 16 February 1983. A grant of $100,000 has been allocated to assist with the restoration and reconstruction of the former kindergarten for use as a bushfire memorial, community meeting place, tourist information centre and resource centre providing history and information on the impact of bushfire.
Melbourne General Cemetery, Gatehouse
The gatehouse building at Melbourne General Cemetery was constructed in 1934-35 using materials from the demolished earlier gatehouse to the design of architect John Gawler of the firm Gawler and Drummond. The gatehouse, which is a prominent feature of the cemetery, contained the gatekeeper’s lodge and administration rooms. A grant of $80,000 has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior stonework and slate roof of the building. The works will enable the building to be utilised more effectively for community events and as a historical resource centre.
Yea Railway Station
The Yea Railway Station was opened in 1889. The station building represents the most picturesque design of railway buildings prepared by the Railways Department and is the most intact example of a Gothic styled Railway Station building in Victoria. A grant of $74,000 has been allocated for exterior conservation works to the building including brick repairs, roof repairs and platform verandah repairs. The works will enable the continuing use of the railway complex as a tourist attraction on the rail trail and venue for the monthly farmer’s market. The works will also enable better use of the station building for community meetings and functions.
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Designed by Reed, Smart and Tappin, construction of the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo commenced in 1896. The cathedral is constructed in sandstone and local granite in a Decorated Gothic Style and is of significance as the last Gothic cathedral to be completed in Victoria. A grant of $53,500 to be match funded by the Church, has been allocated for a pilot project to conserve the stone parapet. The works will inform future stone repairs to the parapet and will assist in restoring this landmark Bendigo Church that is valued by the community and tourists alike.
Former Reid’s Coffee Palace, Ballarat
Constructed between 1886 and 1888, Reid’s Coffee Palace is significant for demonstrating the Coffee Palace era in the late Victoria period. Internally the stairwell with its hand painted murals on the ceiling and wall panels, its monitor roof with leadlight and painted glazing and entrance arch is a particularly fine space. A grant of $40,700, to be match funded by the Uniting Church, has been allocated to undertake conservation works to the monitor roof including urgent timber repairs to prevent further water penetration and specialist conservation of the leadlight and painted windows. Completion of these works will enable the continuing operation of this building by Uniting Care for low cost and crisis accommodation for the homeless and low income earners.
Old Police Cells, Former Police Station, Echuca
The former Police Station was erected in 1866 and designed by H. A. Williams of the Public Works Department. The three cell brick lock up, was built in 1861 and extended in 1887-88. The buildings were closed as a police Station and lock up in 1969 and have since been used by the Historical Society as a museum. A grant of $70,000 has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior of the former Police Cells including stabilisation of the footings, brick repairs and drainage works. The Police Complex is operated by the Echuca and District Historical Society and stabilisation of the former Police Cells will make the building available for historical displays and part of the visitor experience.
Hut #29, former Ballarat RAAF Base
Hut #29 is one of 33 remaining P-Type Huts on the site of the former Ballarat Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base, constructed in 1940 at the outset of the Second World War as a training school for Wireless Air Gunners under the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS). A grant of $50,000 has been allocated towards exterior restoration works including roof replacement, wall cladding and timber repairs. The works will enable the reuse of the building as the headquarters for community organisation K. I. D. S. Foundation, a health promotion charity dedicated to childhood injury prevention and injury recovery and support.
Former Ladies Kiosk, Eastern Park, Geelong
The former Ladies Kiosk was erected in the centre of Geelong in 1904. It was moved to the east end of Market Square in 1912 and to its current location in Eastern Park, which is part of the Geelong Botanic Gardens, in 1929. It is an Edwardian style pavilion and an unusual and rare building type. A grant of $80,000 has been allocated to assist with the restoration and reconstruction of the kiosk to its original appearance, including reinstatement of decorative features. The funded works will enable the building to be used as a focus for community events in Eastern Park.
St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Synagogue
St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Synagogue was designed by architect Joseph Plottel and consecrated in 1927. The synagogue design was inspired by the Isaiah Hebrew Temple in Chicago in the Byzantine Revival style. Distinctive features include the saucer dome and flanking smaller domes, and the decorative details to the interior including the domed ceiling with the Magen David at its apex. A grant of $150,000, to be match funded by the Synagogue, has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior of the three copper domes. Undertaking the works to the domes will prevent further damage to the interior and will ensure the continued use of the building by the Hebrew Congregation and the nearby Jewish Museum.