Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Frequently Asked Questions

Print friendly version

Please review the Frequently Asked Questions below for answers to common enquiries. The answers commonly refer to all four funds including the Melbourne Heritage Restoration Fund, Yarra Heritage Restoration Fund, Ballarat Heritage Restoration Fund and Casey Heritage Restoration Fund. Refer to the Eligibility page of this website for VHRF eligibility criteria.

What are the Assessment Criteria for my Application?

Please refer to the Assessment Criteria page of this website for details on how applications are assessed.

When will my application be assessed?

Applications will be accepted at any time. Please review these key dates when making your application. Applicants will be advised of the outcome of their application in the weeks following the meeting. 

Do I have to repay the money?

Grant money is not repaid unless the property is sold within twelve months of receipt of the grant. In this instance, grant money must be repaid to the Fund in full.

How do I collect the funding offered?

Grants will not be issued in full until the entire scope of funded works have been completed and the Fund’s Conservation Architect has undertaken all necessary inspections and approvals. Payment will be via an electronic bank transfer. Payment can only be made if the EFT details have been provided on the signed agreement.

What kind of agreement will I have to sign?

A standard agreement between VHRF and the applicant is drawn up outlining the responsibilities of each party. No impositions are made on the title of the property. It is important to note that the offer of assistance will be based upon the precise scope of works submitted with the application. Variations in the extent or nature of the works or in the specific trades people undertaking the works may result in the offer being reduced or withdrawn. Any variation in the works should be brought to the attention of the VHRF Administrator prior to the commencement of works

What is expected of me if I receive a grant?

All applications that receive funding assistance from VHRF require that a temporary sign be erected for the duration of the works funded. The applicants are also required to make the building available for photography, which may be used in any VHRF and State Government documentation.

How will I know if my application has been successful?

All applications for financial assistance are reviewed by the VHRF Committee of Management at meetings held four times year. Once the application has been approved, the VHRF Administrator will send out the relevant VHRF Agreements directly to the applicant.

What constitutes conservation works?

Conservation works involve repair and conservation works that contribute to the recognised significance of the place or object.

What constitutes restoration or reconstruction works?

Restoration or reconstruction can take many forms but always aims to return a building to a known early state. This could mean repair of an early cast iron fence, replacement of a modern tiled roof with original slates, reinstatement of a missing verandah, removal of a modern carport addition or a wide variety of other interventions. However, it must be clear that the works go some way towards restoring the original appearance of the building. That appearance can be established through early documentation of the property in the form of building plans, photographs and drawings or through evidence available through an examination of the building. The Fund cannot assist with speculative reconstruction works in which the early appearance of the building is not known.

What is the value of the grant that I may receive?

Funding levels are assessed on a case by case basis and are generally up to a maximum of 50% of the cost of works, but as a general rule are rarely over $10,000 even if a project is over $20,000. BCC. For conservation works can fund up to 50% but works up to $5,000 can be funded up to 100% under special circumstances. CCC. For conservation works the CCC can fund up to 50% but under special circumstances can fund up to 100%. For professional advice and documentation the CCC can fund up to 75%. MCC: For competitive and responsive grants can fund up to 30% for commercial and residential properties and up to 50% for non-profits. For strategic grants can fund up to 50%. YCC. For conservation works can fund up to 50% but works up to $5,000 can be funded up to 100% under special circumstances. Under special circumstances the YCC can fund up to 100% of targeted strategic projects.

Do I need a planning permit?

In order for an application for funding to be processed, you must provide a copy of your approved planning permit and endorsed drawings, or written confirmation from the City Council in which the property is located, stating that no permits are required for the works you propose in this application. If your place is included on the VHR you will need a permit or permit exemption from Heritage Victoria rather than Council. N.B. You can apply for financial assistance without a Planning Permit or Planning Exemption but no works can commence until the document has been supplied.

Where do I source tradespeople?

It is important to note that restoration work can be more complex than general building work and your preferred tradespeople will need to demonstrate previous experience in work of this kind. Restoration and reconstruction works must reproduce early construction methods and materials and modern replacement materials such as polystyrene moldings, acrylic renders or colorbond finishes are unlikely to receive support. Refer to the Heritage Services Directory for a list of recommended contractors.

My works have already commenced, Can I make an application?

The Fund cannot assist with works that have already commenced or if a contractor has already been engaged for the work.

Making an application, where do I start?

Before – Applications may be made online here – add: Refer to the Online Application Check List to understand what information and documents you will need before you make an online application.