Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

18 – 24 Lydiard Street North, Old Colonists Club

This building was constructed in 1887-89. The two level verandah was designed by Molloy and Smith, Architects and built in 1901. The club was originally established by early inhabitants of Ballarat, some of whom were associated with the Eureka uprising. The building comprises a restrained Renaissance facade, four bays of shops on the ground floor and a central arched entrance to the club rooms. Externally the building is substantially intact apart from two of the four shop fronts. The building is individually listed in the Heritage Overlay HO69 and contributory to the Lydiard Street Heritage Precinct HO171.

The funded works involved reinstatement of the two altered shop fronts to match the intact shop fronts with their recessed entries and shop front windows and highlight windows. The reinstatement was also based on historical and photographic evidence. The upper sections of glazing to the two subject shop were intact but covered over and provided evidence of the original shop front door and window configuration as well as detailing. Reinstatement included new brass window frames, new glazing and leadlight, pressed metal ceilings and new door frames and doors to match original detailing. Wendy Jacobs, Conservation architect, detailed the reinstatement works and managed the completion of the works.

In February 2017, the VHRF Committee of Management agreed to offer a grant of $20,000 towards reinstatement of the two shop fronts.

The works which were based on historical evidence, return the row of shops to their original appearance and greatly enhances the contribution these shops make to the important Lydiard Street historic streetscape.