Alfred Fuller Pipe Organ, St John’s Lutheran Church, Geelong
The Alfred Fuller Pipe Organ is owned and housed in St John’s Lutheran Church, Geelong. The organ (1887) is the largest organ built by Alfred Fuller surviving in substantially original condition. A grant of $10,000, to be match funded by the Church, has been allocated to enable the cleaning, repair and restoration of the pipe organ, thereby maintaining this historical object for future generations, ensuring a reduction in maintenance costs, and, better sound quality.
St Mary’s Catholic Church, Bairnsdale
St Mary’s Catholic Church is the main church of the Catholic Parish of Bairnsdale/Omeo Parish under the auspice of the Catholic Diocese of Sale. It is an impressive brick building commenced in 1913 and designed by Augustus A Fritsch is a landmark public building in the Bairnsdale commercial and civic centre. St Mary’s is currently in need of urgent roof repairs and plumbing works. A grant of $75,000 has been allocated for roof conservation works, to be match funded by the church, will assist in reducing the ingress of water and ensure the survival of the colourful frescoes on the Church ceiling that the community and tourists alike enjoy.
Christ Church Complex, Warrnambool
The Gothic Revival Church is constructed of sandstone with a slate roof. The earliest part of the church designed by Nathaniel Billing was completed in 1856 and the spire and tower designed by Terry and Oakden were opened in 1882. The bell tower is in urgent need of conservation works to slow down the rate of deterioration in the stonework. A grant of $90,000, to be match funded by the Church, for repairs to the bell tower stonework will ensure its survival, as well as providing employment to local skilled and experience tradespersons.
Former Post Office, Walhalla
Old Walhalla Post Office is managed by the Walhalla Board of Management. The building, designed in 1884 is a prominent building in the streetscape of Walhalla and an important building promoting tourism in the town. The Post Office is one of the most intact and earliest surviving timber government buildings in Victoria. A grant of $70,000 has been allocated to assist with urgent roof repairs, including the timber fascias, to ensure that the 1800s structure and decorative integrity are maintained.
Old Murmungee Hall, Murmungee
Old Murmungee Hall is owned and managed by the Rural City of Wangaratta. The building was erected in 1869 by the local residents for use as a school, hall and church. A grant of $43,000 has been allocated to assist in the replacement of the corrugated metal roof, and the installation of a damp course treatment. Today, the building is largely used for community and social events, and as a refuge during high fire danger days.
Maldon Museum/Former Market Hall, Maldon
The former Market Hall was commenced in 1859 and was one of the earliest projects in the newly proclaimed municipality of Maldon. It later became the Shire Hall and Offices. The building is currently used as the Maldon Museum and archives, and is an asset to the town of Maldon, which attracts significant numbers of tourists. A grant of $60,000 has been allocated to assist in conservation works that includes roof repairs, and will ensure that the building will continue to be used by the community and tourists alike.
Former Beechworth Police Stables, Beechworth
The Former Beechworth Police Stables are located on Crown Land and managed by the Indigo Shire Council. The stables form part of an important Justice Precinct constructed between the 1850s and 1870s, which is a major tourist attraction in the town. A grant of $34,000 has been allocated to assist in conservation works including the installation of a damp proof course and repairs to the brickwork on the stables and will enable the building to be used for tourism events and as an education venue.
National Theatre, St Kilda
The National Theatre is owned and managed by the Australian National Memorial Theatre Ltd. a private not-for-profit organisation. The National Theatre opened as a cinema in 1921 and was described at the time as the second biggest cinema in Melbourne. A grant of $25,000 has been allocated to assist in the urgent repairs to the roof, which will ensure its continued use as an important community, arts and training facility.
Former Freemason’s Hall, South Melbourne
The Former Freemasons Hall is owned and managed by the Melbourne Camera Club a not-for-profit organisation. It is a Classical Victorian building completed in 1876. A grant of $90,000 has been allocated to assist with urgent repairs to the rendered cornice and parapet and conservation of the coat of arms. Conducting the restoration work will ensure the continued survival of the building and the use of the building by the Camera Club and other interest groups.
Sexton’s Lodge, Bendigo Cemetery, Bendigo
The 1920s Sexton’s Lodge is located at the entrance of the Bendigo Cemetery which dates from the 1850s. The building is used as a genealogical research centre. A grant of $50,000 has been allocated to assist with conservation works to the roof of the Sexton’s Lodge, which will enable the research centre to remain at the cemetery and continue to provide the important service to the Bendigo community.
Moonee Ponds Court House, Moonee Ponds
Moonee Ponds Courthouse is owned by the Department of Environment and managed by the Essendon Historical Society. Constructed in 1890, it is a highly decorative example of a Public Works Department courthouse designed by S. E. Bindley. A grant of $90,000 has been allocated to assist with conservation works to the roof of the building, repair and replacement of the original cast iron gutters. The works will enable the continuing use of the building by local community groups and will ensure the protection of the history collection.
Eaglehawk Town Hall, Eaglehawk
The City of Greater Bendigo owns and manages the Eaglehawk Town Hall which was constructed in 1901 to the design of architects Wilkinson and Permewan and is a prominent feature of the Eaglehawk town centre. A grant of $43,000 has been allocated to assist with urgent conservation works to the roof of the building, including the lightning rod installation to the clock tower. The works will ensure that the building can continue to be used by local community groups and as a community operated cinema.
Former Huntly Shire Council Chambers, Huntly
The former Huntly Shire Council Chambers were constructed in 1867 to the designs of local engineer John O’Dwyer. The building is a highly unusual and striking design with an entry loggia and banded brickwork. A grant of $40,000 has been allocated to fund conservation works to the roof of the building. The works will ensure the protection of historical records and the continuing use of the building by the local Historical Society.
St Paul’s Cathedral, Bendigo
St Paul’s Anglican Cathedral Bendigo is owned and managed by the Anglican Diocese of Bendigo. The red brick Gothic style Cathedral was constructed in stages from 1868 to 1927. A grant of $20,000, to be match funded by the Church, has been allocated to fund conservation works to the significant decorative interior liturgical fittings and fixtures. The works will enable the building to be reopened for use as a venue for cultural and musical events.
Wollaston Bridge, Warrnambool
Wollaston Bridge is a suspension bridge that was erected across the Merri River in 1890 to facilitate access to the Wollaston Estate of Sir Walter Manifold. It is now an important feature of St James Park. A grant of $60,000 has been allocated to assist in stabilising the bridge and repairing the significant suspension cables. The works will enable the bridge to continue to be used as an important pedestrian and bike link over the Merri River.
Como House, South Yarra
Como House is owned and managed by the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). It is a prominent two storey mansion constructed between 1855 and the 1870s. A grant of $100,000 has been allocated to assist with undertaking urgent underpinning works and stabilisation works to the western wall of the building. The repairs are vital to ensure the structural integrity of the building and continuing public access.
Former Cockatoo Kindergarten
The former Cockatoo Kindergarten, constructed in 1976 is historically and socially significant for its role as a refuge for about three hundred residents of Cockatoo during the devastating Ash Wednesday bushfires of 16 February 1983. A grant of $100,000 has been allocated to assist with the restoration and reconstruction of the former kindergarten for use as a bushfire memorial, community meeting place, tourist information centre and resource centre providing history and information on the impact of bushfire.
Melbourne General Cemetery, Gatehouse
The gatehouse building at Melbourne General Cemetery was constructed in 1934-35 using materials from the demolished earlier gatehouse to the design of architect John Gawler of the firm Gawler and Drummond. The gatehouse, which is a prominent feature of the cemetery, contained the gatekeeper’s lodge and administration rooms. A grant of $80,000 has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior stonework and slate roof of the building. The works will enable the building to be utilised more effectively for community events and as a historical resource centre.
Yea Railway Station
The Yea Railway Station was opened in 1889. The station building represents the most picturesque design of railway buildings prepared by the Railways Department and is the most intact example of a Gothic styled Railway Station building in Victoria. A grant of $74,000 has been allocated for exterior conservation works to the building including brick repairs, roof repairs and platform verandah repairs. The works will enable the continuing use of the railway complex as a tourist attraction on the rail trail and venue for the monthly farmer’s market. The works will also enable better use of the station building for community meetings and functions.
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Designed by Reed, Smart and Tappin, construction of the Sacred Heart Cathedral, Bendigo commenced in 1896. The cathedral is constructed in sandstone and local granite in a Decorated Gothic Style and is of significance as the last Gothic cathedral to be completed in Victoria. A grant of $53,500 to be match funded by the Church, has been allocated for a pilot project to conserve the stone parapet. The works will inform future stone repairs to the parapet and will assist in restoring this landmark Bendigo Church that is valued by the community and tourists alike.
Former Reid’s Coffee Palace, Ballarat
Constructed between 1886 and 1888, Reid’s Coffee Palace is significant for demonstrating the Coffee Palace era in the late Victoria period. Internally the stairwell with its hand painted murals on the ceiling and wall panels, its monitor roof with leadlight and painted glazing and entrance arch is a particularly fine space. A grant of $40,700, to be match funded by the Uniting Church, has been allocated to undertake conservation works to the monitor roof including urgent timber repairs to prevent further water penetration and specialist conservation of the leadlight and painted windows. Completion of these works will enable the continuing operation of this building by Uniting Care for low cost and crisis accommodation for the homeless and low income earners.
Old Police Cells, Former Police Station, Echuca
The former Police Station was erected in 1866 and designed by H. A. Williams of the Public Works Department. The three cell brick lock up, was built in 1861 and extended in 1887-88. The buildings were closed as a police Station and lock up in 1969 and have since been used by the Historical Society as a museum. A grant of $70,000 has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior of the former Police Cells including stabilisation of the footings, brick repairs and drainage works. The Police Complex is operated by the Echuca and District Historical Society and stabilisation of the former Police Cells will make the building available for historical displays and part of the visitor experience.
Hut #29, former Ballarat RAAF Base
Hut #29 is one of 33 remaining P-Type Huts on the site of the former Ballarat Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) Base, constructed in 1940 at the outset of the Second World War as a training school for Wireless Air Gunners under the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS). A grant of $50,000 has been allocated towards exterior restoration works including roof replacement, wall cladding and timber repairs. The works will enable the reuse of the building as the headquarters for community organisation K. I. D. S. Foundation, a health promotion charity dedicated to childhood injury prevention and injury recovery and support.
Former Ladies Kiosk, Eastern Park, Geelong
The former Ladies Kiosk was erected in the centre of Geelong in 1904. It was moved to the east end of Market Square in 1912 and to its current location in Eastern Park, which is part of the Geelong Botanic Gardens, in 1929. It is an Edwardian style pavilion and an unusual and rare building type. A grant of $80,000 has been allocated to assist with the restoration and reconstruction of the kiosk to its original appearance, including reinstatement of decorative features. The funded works will enable the building to be used as a focus for community events in Eastern Park.
St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Synagogue
St Kilda Hebrew Congregation Synagogue was designed by architect Joseph Plottel and consecrated in 1927. The synagogue design was inspired by the Isaiah Hebrew Temple in Chicago in the Byzantine Revival style. Distinctive features include the saucer dome and flanking smaller domes, and the decorative details to the interior including the domed ceiling with the Magen David at its apex. A grant of $150,000, to be match funded by the Synagogue, has been allocated for conservation works to the exterior of the three copper domes. Undertaking the works to the domes will prevent further damage to the interior and will ensure the continued use of the building by the Hebrew Congregation and the nearby Jewish Museum.
Polly Woodside, Melbourne
The Polly Woodside was built in Belfast in 1885 by Workman Clark & Co Ltd for William J Woodside, and operated as a cargo vessel, initially carrying coal, nitrate and wheat between England and South America, and also visiting North America, Africa and Australia. The Polly Woodside is of historical significance for its links to Victoria’s maritime history, being representative of the type of ship that that serviced Victoria through the inter-colonial and international trade in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. Polly Woodside was purchased in 1968 by the National Trust of Australia (Victoria). It underwent extensive restoration, most of which was done by volunteers, and in 1978 was opened to the public, moored permanently at the 1875 Duke’s & Orr’s Dry Dock at Southbank. A grant of $20,000 has been allocated to assist with timber repairs and rigging replacement to ensure the ship can remain open to the public for tourism and educative purposes.
St Pauls Cathedral Buildings, Melbourne
Constructed between 1880 and 1891 St Pauls Cathedral is one of the later and larger works of the important English architects William Butterfield. Characteristic Butterfield details include the contrasting texture of the Waurn Ponds and Barrabool stone cladding, some of which will be restored as part of the funded project. A grant of $107,500 has been allocated to assist with restoration of the undercroft (Chapter House Lane) including removal of a later addition, which detracts from the significance of the building and stonework repair and water proofing. These works will greatly enhance the appearance of this important CBD access laneway.
Old Colonists Association, Ballarat
This building was constructed in 1887-89 with the verandah built in 1901.The club was originally established by early inhabitants of Ballarat, some of whom were associated with the Eureka uprising. The building provides a particularly important example of a double storey verandah of a refined design associated with an elegant façade. A grant of $60,000 has been allocated for replacement of the corrugated galvanised roofing and box gutters to match the original. This will prevent further ingress of water to the building and will allow Colonists Association funds to be directed towards affordable housing for the elderly in the Ballarat area.
Loren, Gippsland Heritage Park, Moe
Loren is a two-storey gabled prefabricated house, constructed using broad-gauge corrugated iron and was originally erected in Curzon Street, North Melbourne in 1854 for builder, James Hogg. By 1968 the building had deteriorated and it was dismantled and moved to the Old Gippstown Pioneer Settlement. Loren is of historically significant as a rare building which, in its form and method of construction, is expressive of the Gold Rush period in Victoria’s history when pre-fabricated buildings were imported to meet the extraordinary demand for housing. A grant of $24,000 has been allocated to undertake urgent exterior conservation works to ensure that can remain open to the public for tourism and educative purposes.
Shed 8, former Boiler Shop, Seaworks, Williamstown
The former Boiler Shop was originally part of a single cargo shed erected on North Wharf of the Yarra in 1887-88 and reconstructed as four separate sheds on specially reclaimed land at Ann Street Williamstown in 1921-22. With the remnant east end of Shed No 9 at South Wharf, the sheds are the remains of the oldest surviving cargo sheds in the Port of Melbourne. As part of Seaworks, they play an important tourist and educative role telling the story of Melbourne’s early maritime industry. A grant of $180,000 has been allocated towards exterior and interior repairs and restoration including timber repairs, iron repairs and repainting to enable the shed to be better utilised for education and tourism purposes.
Clunes Town Hall and Court House
Clunes Town Hall and Court House was designed by Percy Oakden and constructed in 1872-3. The distinctive Victorian Free Classical style building is a reflection of the civic pride and community confidence of a gold town at the peak of its prosperity. The Town Hall and Court House is of historical importance in demonstrating the continuing role that such municipal buildings played in the civic and social life of rural communities in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and the building continues to play an important community building role. A grant of $107,800 has been allocated to assist with urgent foundation stabilisation works and will ensure the building can continue to be used as an important community venue and meeting place.
Camp Manyung Memorial Chapel, Mt Eliza
Camp Manyung is a rare example of a purpose built, permanent seaside youth camp in Victoria. A number of innovative programs were introduced at Camp Manyung, including leadership training courses and family camps. Camp Manyung is one of the longest operating youth camps in Victoria. The outdoor chapel is an original, rare and well utilised feature of the camp. A grant of $74,000 has been allocated to assist with restoration of the outdoor chapel including repair of pews, restoration of metal memorial plaque and reinstatement of the original landscape design. The works will ensure that this chapel continues to play an important role in camps and will enhance the significance of the place.
Former Alexandra Post Office, Public Offices, Alexandra
The Public Offices at Alexandra are architecturally significant as an uncommon example of Public Works architecture, which incorporates a post office, shire offices and court house into a single, substantial compound. The building is constructed of rendered brick with stone dressings. The former Post Office building is owned by Continuing Education and Arts Centre of Alexandra (CEACA) and is rented out to raise revenue for the organisation. A grant of $120,000 has been allocated for the exterior restoration of the building including render repairs, window repairs, chimney repairs and repainting. These works will restore the building to an earlier appearance and will help protect the building from future decay from weathering.
The National Theatre, St Kilda
The National Theatre, St Kilda opened in April 1921 as a cinema, the Victory Theatre, described at the time as the second biggest cinema in Melbourne with a capacity for an audience of 3000. The building is valued by a wide community as a venue for films, festivals and theatrical performances over a long period of time. The National Theatre is of architectural significance as a fine example of a cinema designed in the Beaux Arts style. A grant of $101,500 has been allocated to assist with brickwork repairs including deteriorated brick replacement and re-pointing of mortar. These works will improve the appearance of the building as well as protect it against further deterioration due to the effects of weathering and the coastal environment.
Ballarat Mechanics Institute, Sturt Street, Ballarat
The Ballarat Mechanics Institute is an outstanding example of a grand nineteenth century Mechanics Institute. It has a Victorian Free Classical style façade and was constructed in stages involving three notable architects. The Mechanics Institute Library is original and intact from its establishment and holds a rare reference collection. The building is well utilised as a library and for many not for profit organisations, community groups and education. A grant of $150,000 has been allocated towards restoration of the Sturt Street façade including repairs to render, mouldings, masonry, metal work and timber and repainting. These works will enhance the original appearance of the front façade as well as protecting the interior from further water ingress.
St Augustine’s, Bourke Street, Melbourne
St Augustine’s Catholic Church is an unusual church for central Melbourne with its parish church scale and garden setting, and is a particularly fine example of decorated Gothic style. The former school was designed by architect J B Denny and was constructed after the church in 1880-81 on the site of the first Catholic day school, St Augustine’s, established in 1853, in the City of Melbourne. A grant of $37,000 has been allocated to assist with replacement of the slate roof to match the original. The school building plays an important role in Church operations and is used for meetings and administration purposes.
Wardrop and Scurry Fountain, Williamstown Cemetery
Williamstown Cemetery was established in 1857 after the inadequacies of the unofficial cemetery at Point Gellibrand were repeatedly brought to the attention of the government. The Cemetery is aesthetically important for its mid-nineteenth century layout, which demonstrates prevailing Picturesque ideas about cemetery design. This value is significantly enhanced by the central focus of the ornate and rare nineteenth century fountain designed by architectural modellers, Wardrop & Scurry. A grant of $50,000 has been allocated towards restoration of the fountain including masonry and pipework repairs and external finishes restoration. The works will restore the fountain to its original appearance and operation.
Bath House Pavilion, Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve, Hepburn Springs
Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve is of historical significance as an intact and authentic expression of 19th and early 20th century nature and health tourism in Victoria, made popular through the development of the country rail network. This pavilion was built over a spring in 1908. It replaced an earlier structure that was erected over the Pavilion Spring in 1897. A grant of $70,000 has been allocated for the replacement of the original Marseilles tile cladding, which will restore the original appearance of the impressive roof and prevent further water damage to the roof structure and interior.